Monday, February 3, 2014

Hotel Eite Status ... and my LUCK

 

Hotel Elite statuses are great when you are staying in a hotel that provides free internet and breakfast to its elite members.  But I have had bad luck with Hotel Elite status.  I currently have GOLD status for Marriott, Hilton, Club Carson and SPG. Marriott and Hilton provide free breakfast for its Gold Members Club Carson and SPG don’t.

2013 Feb I signed up for Marriott GOLD Challenge, which means you have to stay 8 nights at a Marriott property within  I believe it was 60 days, but in the meantime while you work on your stay,  you do get the GOLD status.

Madrid, Spain

So on our trip to Europe for 2013 Spring break; we stayed at AC Hotels Recoletos in Madrid. It’s a Marriott property but, I had bad luck, the hotel does not provide free breakfast to its GOLD members, and on top of that the free internet connection in the room was horrible, lobby had a better connection. When I asked about free breakfast, I was told that only the Big Marriott hotels provide free breakfast, and AC Hotels Recoletos was a Category 5 back then before devaluation also cost me 25,000 Marriott Rewards per night.

Miami, FL

So when we returned from Madrid, Spain we returned to Miami, FL. We stayed at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay also a Category 5 hotel before Marriott changed it to 6. The hotel was way beautiful and the rooms were way bigger than the one in Madrid. The internet connection was fast, and had free breakfast in the lounge, which happened to be on the same floor we were in.  The breakfast had lots of items,  I don’t remember  what were the items.  Also paid 25,000 Marriott points per night

 

Toronto, Canada

2013 end of the month March, I had to go to Toronto for one night to attend a wedding. We stayed in Courtyard Toronto Brampton,  this was a category 2 hotel but it sure did look way better than the  one in Madrid, or the one in Puerto Rico (which I am about to write about).  This was a paid reservation, but the Courtyard Toronto Brampton, and this this provide breakfast either. I question myself on why I did all those mattress run to get the GOLD.

 

 

San Juan, Puerto Rico

For summer we were in Puerto Rico for 5 nights. We stayed in Courtyard San Juan, Miramar this is a Category 5 hotel.  Decent hotel nothing special, and guess what they didn’t provide free breakfast for its GOLD members. The surprise never ends with Marriott Properties.  The  website don’t talk about breakfast, but I though being a GOLD member may be it not published as it being available for everyone.

 

Kuala Lampur, Malaysia

I didn’t go to this hotel, but I did book a room for my mother and sister with my points in Doubletree by Hilton Kuala Lampur. This is a Hilton Reward Category 2 hotel. Since I booked the hotel room, it shows up as they were GOLD member. From what feedback I received from my mom and sister, this hotel was very specious, the hotel had child care facility in case you want to go somewhere by yourself or with your spouse to spend some quality time, kids menu, they have two breakfast buffet, one early in the morning for early for people who wake up early and one around brunch time, and all these were available to them as a GOLD member. The list of all the amenities are here

 

Austin Texas

I had few weeks left before my certificate for two free weekend night were to expire, which I received when I signed up for Citi Hilton Reserve credit card. So we decided to go to Austin, TX. We stayed at Hilton Austin Hotel which is located right in the heart of downtown Austin.  So after the front desk checked me in, she gave me two breakfast voucher for 2 person in the room. The voucher reads

“HHONORS VIP BREAKFAST,  Valid for (1) beverage and (1) breakfast item of your choice at Java Jive. You may upgrade to full breakfast buffet in Liberty Tavern with this coupon for an additional $10.00”

So the first morning didn’t want to spend $20.00 on breakfast buffet, so we went to Java Jive and got a Starbucks coffee and a Danish plus milk for my 2 year old. So next morning, I went to front desk to get two more coupon, this time I asked the front desk, where Liberty Tavern was since we want to have the buffet, he directed me and told me that. We had our breakfast and turned in the coupon, and which room to be billed the $20.00. During check out the bill for breakfast was not included, the front desk advised me that it will be billed once the restaurant send them the update. So till this day I have not been billed for it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment